Thursday, October 9, 2008

Recommended Reading List

A friend of mine (hi Lydia!) inquired as to whether, given the current economic crisis, I had any books I would suggest people read and sure enough, I do. This is not an exhaustive list but some good places to start, fairly mainstream and nothing too dry (I hope!).

(1) Economics In One Lesson - Henry Hazlitt
(2) The Road to Serfdom - Frederich Hayak
(3) The FairTax Book - Neal Boortz & John Linder
(4) The Revolution - Dr. Ron Paul
(5) Liberal Fascism - Jonah Goldberg
(6) Dependent On D.C. - Charlotte A. Twight
(7) The Law - Bastiat
(8) Wealth and Poverty - George Gilder

If you have not read any of the following since High School (they were required reading when I was in school) then I strongly suggest re-reading them and, now that you're old enough to be paying attention, think about our current government and economic structures:

(1) Animal Farm - Orwell
(2) 1984 - Orwell
(3) Brave New World - Huxley

I'm sure I'll think of some more but there is a quick list.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sean! I'm surprised!! How can you possibly not include Paine's 'Common Sense'?

Sean Shepard said...

Ah! And exactly why I asked for feedback! LOL

Thanks Al!

Joel Harris said...

I completely agree with Liberal Fascism. I read that book a few months ago and found it very helpful to understanding a lot of what is happening to us today.

Then I read Obama's Health Care proposal and thought about the cover of Goldberg's book.